Thursday, January 21, 2016

Chocolate Lava Cakes

(Rhiana's favourite dessert)
My almost-9-yr-old granddaughter FaceTime-d me the other day and asked if her family could come over for dinner 'if' I was making lava cakes for dessert because that was her favourite - LOL! Of course, I said yes!

slightly overdone
what you want

I first got the recipe for lava cakes from my friend Candy from California back in 2006. I had never heard of it/them but it was apparently all the rage in restaurants. Her recipe was quite good because they turned out first time with no problem but I always have to tweak things a bit. The biggest thing about lava cake is to not overcook them, because they are like a little chocolate muffin that is cake-like on the outside but still molten, lava-like, gooey in the centre. I made them for a while and then, you know how things go, something new comes along and you kind of forget and the recipe gets filed to the back of the box. Last fall, when I was looking for a simple chocolate dessert, I revived lava cake and wow, what a success - it became everyone's favourite! I came up with a gluten-free version - totally easy because there is so little flour in it and I even did a dairy-free, GF one that worked using coconut oil instead of the butter. The great thing is you can make it in the morning and leave it in the fridge all day, just ready to fill the muffin tins and pop in the oven just before you want to serve dessert.
Chocolate Lava Cakes                                         
Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Generously butter 5 to 6 regular muffin tin cups. Dust with cocoa powder and shake out excess.
In small bowl, place
6 oz (3/4 C) bittersweet chocolate chips
4 tbsp butter
Melt in ‘mike’ on med power (don't go full power because it will burn the chocolate) for a minute or two and stir to blend and melt chips. Whisk in
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp espresso powder (or instant coffee powder) (my secret ingredient - this really pumps up the volume of chocolate flavour and takes some of the sweetness down a bit)
Let cool slightly.
In medium mixing bowl, sift
1/4 C sugar - white (actually a little less)
1/4 tsp table salt
1.5 tbsp white flour - (for gluten free version, substitute King Arthur GF mix  or brown rice, tapioca and white rice flours - .5 tbsp each and 1/4 tsp xantham gum)
Add in the chocolate mixture  to this and using hand mixer, beat to combine. Add
uncooked, ready for oven
2 eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each egg before adding another - Beat at high speed for 4 min. Chill mixture. Can be made ahead to this point and left in fridge for 1 to 8 hrs.
Spoon very stiff mixture into muffin tins trying to keep them same size - I get 6 half full muffin tins - don't worry about shape or smoothing out - the heat of the oven will take care of that - just try to get them close to the same size.
Bake 11-12 min. Remove and serve immediately. Run knife blade around edge and quickly flip into dessert bowl, on top of softened ice cream!
NOTE: When Rhiana is coming, double the recipe, to make 10-12 muffins because leftovers can be taken home and re-heated in the microwave for 30 seconds and they are apparently just as good as fresh out of the oven!

Note: my cookware is not funded by the Food network - this muffin tin (I have 6 of them) is 45 years old! And still works great! I have a newer 12-hole one, but I use the 6s for this recipe because it is easier to handle and get them out of the smaller tins!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment